Watch me this week as I bake Chris his birthday cake from a recipe sent all the way from his Mum in England!
Victoria Sandwich Cakes
A Victoria Sandwich Cake is a rich light mixture which contains equal quantities of fat, egg, sugar and flour.
What the Victoria Sponge Sandwich Cake should look like:
When cooked, the perfect cake should be a rich golden colour, well risen with straight sides, a flat top and have a light, even texture.
- 4 oz. Stork Margarine
- 4 oz. castor sugar (4 rounded tablespoons)
- 2 large eggs
- 4 oz. self-rising flour (4 heaped tablespoons)
- 1 level teaspoon baking powder
FILLING: 2 tablespoons jam or Stork icing or castor sugar, to dredge.
OVEN: Pre-heat to very moderate (325 degrees Gas No. 3)
- Prepare an 8-inch sandwich tin or 2 x 7 inch tins.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl. Beat with a wooden spoon until well mixed (2-3 minutes). (The mixture should be lighter in colour and slightly glossy.) Place mixture in prepared tin(s). Smooth top(s).
- Bake in pre-heated oven, for an 8-inch 35-45 minutes, for 2 x 7-inch 25-35 minutes.
- Test before removing from oven. Turn out and cool on wire tray. When cold, split the 8-inch cake. Sandwich the cakes together with jam or Stork icing. Dredge top with castor or icing sugar or decorate with icing.
INGREDIENTS: As above BUT omit the baking powder.
METHOD: As above BUT AT STAGE 2.
2a. Cream Stork and sugar together until light and fluffy.
2b. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, adding a little of the sieved flour with the second egg.
2c. Fold in the remaining flour with a metal spoon.
2d. Place mixture in prepared tin(s). Smooth top(s).
Most cakes, however delicious, are improved in appearance by being iced and decorated. To be effective, the decoration need not be elaborate and many simple, attractive designs can be done by the inexperienced. Traditionally, Sandwich-type cakes are filled with jam or a filling such as Stork Icing and the top and sides may be iced with Stork, Fudge or Glacé Icing, and decorated. Everyday Fruit Cakes, Madeira cakes and Gingerbread are not usually iced but the every rich Fruit Cakes normally made for occasions such as Weddings and Christmas are first covered with Almond Paste then with Royal Icing and then some form of decoration.
This quantity is sufficient to fill an 8-inch Victoria Sandwhich Cake, coat sides and top to decorate, if liked.
- 3oz. stork Margarine
- 8oz. icing sugar, sieved (8 well-heaped tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons milk or fruit juice
- Colouring, flavoring, optional
Place all ingredients in mixing bowl and beat together with a wooden spoon until well mixed (2-3 minutes).